Sunday, November 18, 2007

A New Voyage...Where's the Dramamine?

Remember the old Janis Joplin tune, “Oh Lord, Won’t you buy me a Mercedes-Benz?” It’s one that pops into my mind on occasion. It happened just yesterday. For some reason I stopped, and paid attention to the message thinking, “Not this time. This time I want to thank You”. So - Oh Lord, Thank You for so much, including Gracie, a 4 year old rescue Russian Blue, who arrived safely in my home just last week. She listens to my chatter and responds in kind - the feline version of a true friend. Gracie stretches my heart ever so slightly each day.

While miracles surround us, I’m always amazed by the dynamics of the human being/animal connection. Offered unconditional love, we tend to share better, behave more considerately, and overall communicate more kindly, sometimes with a smile in our voices. Animals can teach us new tricks at any age, with unlimited opportunity to improve our styles.

And then some of us choose to or have to live without them. We can develop severe allergies at any point in life. Perhaps we carry around memories of that vicious dog that took a good bite 35 years ago. Life can be challenging enough without adding scratches to the maple feet of your favorite chair and clumps of cat hair glued to the fabric of your dreams.

Years ago, before I recognized Choice as a fundamental birthright, I hadn’t a clue that I could elect to be happy. “Under these circumstances”, I was known to whine, “the most constructive action I can take is to lie down and never rise again.” How could I have considered an alternative given the designer blinders I unconsciously sported night and day? At least contacts have to be purified now and then.

And then some time ago on a glorious spring day, before becoming a lifemindbodyspirit coach, I glimpsed the possibilities about how I might live my life, the difference between what I “know”, and what I know “for sure”. (Thank you Oprah.) As I learned specific skills, challenged certain patterns of thought, and allowed new concepts to take root, I discovered a clearer pathway to my soul. And now every time I begin to work with a new client, I hold specific hopes for them:

1. That the client is already whole.

2. That the client is willing to expand awareness, connect to spirit, create thoughts that serve, and take action.

3. That the client knows she/he can Choose from this moment to the next.

4. That the client dares to live from strength and compassion.

When I consider why these are the thoughts that rise to the top when I’m entering a new coaching conversation, I realize it’s because:

1. I am whole.

2. I have experienced the joy of becoming aware, actually more than once, as

human beings may slip up and get back on the horse.

3. I choose and create my life from moment to moment.

4. I have learned firsthand that we are stronger than we ever dreamed.

I have great compassion for this, our “Human Comedy”. In my experience the words pain-free and existence don’t travel well together. We do, however, make it through life’s many challenges, whether gracefully or not. And that is a great win!

Neither abrupt change nor “smooth” transition is easy. We can train for a new job with utmost attention to detail, yet until we step into it and assume the responsibility for getting it done, we haven’t truly begun.

So I am embarking on a new voyage (where’s the Dramamine?), playing in a bigger way, sharing my thoughts with the hope you’ll offer yours, or simply return for more.

Oh, and you guys out there who have that Mercedes-Benz, what are you thankful for?

Wishing everyone a glorious holiday. And keep those choices coming!

5 comments:

Nic Hohn said...

Congratulations Vicki!!! Give yourself a pat on the Back! Well Done..

Anonymous said...

How exciting to see it come together! Love the idea of how life starts to change when we allow a little grace (or Gracie) to enter. Our lives are enriched and simplified. The lessons arrive regularly. And we come to realize that sometimes the best accomplishment of the day turns out to be a long nap in the sun followed by a luxurious stretch.

Looking forward to the growth of your blog. Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Hi Vicki: it's beautiful!!! and so are you! Good job getting this up and running. LOVE the post. also love Melissa's acknowledgement of "grace" in our life. She knows you and she knows that cats have a handle on living well. My kind of girl.

Write often. Share your heart. love, shirley

Ben Nathan said...

Mom! Congratulations! I am so happy that you are embarking, and in turn, inspiring others to do so. As I read your post, I realized that part of its beauty is that it will mean different things to different people. For me, it was seeing my mother as a whole person who is on a journey that I have seen for a while, but perhaps also with "designer blinders on," and also a passionate Life Coach who knows in her gut how to guide people to "real"ize their own potential. After all, how many years of your life coaching have I had?! I am your most long-lived client so far :)

I love you mom,
Benny

Kirsten said...

Vicki,
What a wonderful expression. I had no idea you could write so powerfully.
I especially loved your son's comments. What a wonderful testimony to your own growth and influence. I so appreciate your voice and your energy it is so uplifting.
Be Well, Be kind and continue to be yourself. Blessings and Gratitude,
Kirsten Allen